Slip and Fall Accident Prevention Tips
It is impossible to predict how serious a slip and fall injury might be. Trips, slips, and falls are second only to motor vehicle accidents in causing personal injuries. The injuries sustained can alter your ability to work and significantly diminish your quality of life.
The elderly are at most risk and many falls occur during winter months as people rush to avoid being out in the cold. Take the following precautions to reduce your likelihood of falling:
- Replace shoes that have worn tread.
- If prescribed, always wear your corrective lenses.
- Take your time in bad weather. Watch for puddles, patches of ice, and slick spots.
If you are ever involved in a slip and fall situation, take the following steps and call a St. Louis slip and fall attorney.
- Report the accident to the property owner, landlord, or store manager.
- Obtain contact information of any witnesses.
- Photograph and document anything that led to or contributed to the accident. This might be broken sidewalks, trip hazards, ice and snow left uncleared, and spilled liquids.
- Get medical attention right away.
Building owners have responsibilities to maintain safe conditions for anyone on their property. It is important to speak with an attorney before your talk to the insurance company. If you don’t, you may give up your rights to adequate compensation and payment of your medical bills. Contact Hoffman & Gelfman for a free consultation.